Sunday, December 04, 2005

Saturday's long run

Woke of Saturday feeling pretty good, but is was low to mid 40s and a blustery, cloudy day. But being the A.R. type (most runners are), I decided I'd go for my long run regardless. After all, it wasn't lightning, I have no injuries, no place to be . . . NO EXCUSE NOT TO RUN!

I bumped it up from the last couple of week's 12 milers. I decided to do 13.2, just to prove I could do a half if I had to do it right now (psychotic?).

Ran in shorts, coolmax teeshirt, coolmax gloves. Once I warmed up, it was perfect. Anyway . . . I battled to make myself slow down. The first couple of miles went pretty fast so I had to throw out an anchor. I ran the first 10.5 miles at a 9:25 pace. Then I decided to pick it up for the last 2.8 miles just to get in the idea of pushing it after being out there. I was surprised to find that I had plenty of gas in the tank and averaged an 8:43 pace. I really believe that if I had held the 9:25 pace, I probably could have run 15 or 16 miles.

I don't want to get too over-confident and I sure don't need an injury. It is usually around this time in training that I end up with bursitis or some other ailment. Of course I am lighter on my feet now than I have been in years.

Before the run I weighed in at 180.
AFTER the run I weighed in at 177!

No comments: