Saturday, December 24, 2005

Another long run & merry Christmas

First, let me wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Today was a pretty busy day. I started off with a long run, then helped Mona around the house with cleaining, cooking, etc (family is coming here tomorrow). Then we went to the local mission to help serve dinner. I started out the day firing up the smoker and smoking a turkey breast and a boston butt . . . . they look good and smell good-only tomorrow will tell.

The long run. As we all know, it is very important. I've been continuously increasing my mileage each week and this week was a 15.6 miler. The total mileage for the week was somewhere in the neighborhood of 33 miles. No serious aches or pains. Maybe this year is the year I finally break through.

I was fortunate today in that my buddy Chip ran 10 miles with me. We ran fairly fast. Or at least faster than I had planned. But that's okay. We had fun, good conversation and the time went by quickly. I ran 15.6 in 2 hours, 21 minutes. This works out to a 9:02 pace. While running with Chip, we average more in the 8:50s. I slowed down the last 4 miles or so. However, after running too fast for almost 12 miles, I needed the break.

Chip also convinced me to sit in a tub of cold water after my run. Not sure if he's yanking my chain or not, but I did it. Sat in a tub of cold water for 10 minutes. It's supposed to help eliminate aches and pains. Personally, I'd rather take Tylenol than sit in cold water, but I'll try anything at least once!:) We'll see how I feel tomorrow to determine if I continue the cold water thing.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!


Shane (mississip) said...


I love the title of your blog and assure you that I have a fatter man chasing me! Good luck on breaking the 4 hour mark this year! I will try to work up to my first marathon in December 06'. I am truly a beginning runner in a neighboring state. Be sure to check out my running blog at and I would appreciate any comments on my current training! Have a happy new year!

Melinda said...

Hey...thanks for dropping by!! Good luck on your can do it! Hope you had a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year! :)

Bye and thanks again,

youngrunner said...

I soak in Epsom Salts after a marathon, not right away but maybe later in the evening. I don't think I could take sitting in a cold tub of water. I heard of one man running hose water on his legs after his run. In my part of the counrty (NE PA) you can't leave the hose on all winter, the pipes will freeze.
The best think I have found is to keep moving after long runs. If you sit or lay around, you are going to get stiff.
Good Luck.