Tuesday, May 30, 2006

whine, whine, whine

Yes, I'm a whiney boy today. First, it is always tough to go back to work after a 3 day weekend. BOOOO on work. Secondly, here in mid-Alabama we are already into end of June/mid July weather. Low 90s and humidity out the wazoo. I don't mind working my way into the weather but just a couple of weeks ago it was in the 70s. What's up with that? Could it be God giving us a warning????

I am also whiney because I just finished up perhaps the worst 5 miler I've had in a while. I averaged 9 minute pace and could not make myself go any faster. Maybe it something to do with yesterday . . . . .

Monday I met some friends, old and new for a bike ride. Larry M, Kerry L, Susan, Roxanne, Ray B, and Wayne K. Since it was Kerry's birthday today, we did a 47 miler (he is turning 46 today) in honor of his birthday. I know 46 . . . 47 . . . . it was close enough. Besides, can you honestly say that your bike computer is that accurate? Since most of us work in engineering we considered the added mile as conservatism and provided tolerance for error. We all did well and averaged 16.8 per my computer. Of course, Susan wanted to make it 50 miles so she and Wayne K and myself took off to add 3 miles to the ride. I really don't think it made that big a difference but my legs and hips were sore most of the day. Yes, I am still a beginner biker. I had a boo boo at about mile 42. We pulled up under a tree to let some stragglers catch up and so we could take on some water. Let me just say that unclipping left and leaning right is NOT THE WAY to stay vertical. I was humbled by the laughter and the gravel lodged in the bloody hole in my knee. Lesson learned. Thanks to all you guys and girls who rode yesterday. Hope to see you tomorrow afternoon for a 35 miler!

No comments: