Thursday, December 21, 2006

have to make time

That is sort of the way it feels right now. As I mentioned in my previous post, I am staying busy. Too busy.

Last night I was in the multi-tasking mode. Started off picking up some last minute gifts, doing laundry, brining turkeys (yes, plural), wrapping gifts. Oh yeah . . . and I got a 6 mile run in too. I also managed to read a couple of chapters in my present read before bed.

6 mile run. What can I say? It was a needed stress reliever and for that reason, I ran without a watch. At times like these I am way too structured . . . working off of lists and lists of lists. I decided to relax and just run. This worked out for me and I felt much better when I finished than when I started. The first mile or so was a slow, worriesome job. I started clearing the mind and like magic, my body responded by "smoothing" out. After the second mile, I was running on all cylinders and my perceived effort was just slightly slower than 10k pace. My guess was I was running 8:20s but it really doesn't matter. I had fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey isn't that what life is all about--to have fun while you get through one day at a time? Merry Xmas to all and to all a good night
Ashville

Anonymous said...

A six miler to wind down is just what you needed; however, I'd like to see you doing your easy general aerobic runs slower than your MP and no where near your 10K pace; although I think you're 10K pace should be south of 7:15 - but that's another discussion. Going too fast during your easy runs is putting additinal stress on your body; stress you could be applying on your weekend long runs (yes, I know I sound like a broken record)

Next time you're out on an easy 6 miler, do your two mile warm up and then take your pace down to the 8:50-9:00 range and try to float. You'll know what I mean when it happens. Time will cease to exist, your feet are barely touching the ground and you're just floating along effortlessly. Now that's a good aerobic workout. Thomas pounded this into me 7 or 8 months ago and it really help. He describes it as entering a Zen-like state.

Have a great Christmas, the turkeys sound wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Jim you and Susan have a wonderful
Christmas enjoy!!!