Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Pre-Turkey

Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Nobody is in the office . . . except me. I exaggerate . . . there are actually about 10 of us here and it is sort of laid back so I'm actually blogging at work. Shame on me.

I ran a 5 miler in the dark and cold last night. I never could get a good rhythm going. I ran without my watch since it was a recovery run from Sunday's long run. I'm not sure why I never got my groove last night. I guess things just pile up. The cold. The dark. My mind racing about all the things I need to do. I guess the big salad I had at lunch didn't help much either since I felt it bouncing around in there. I will just chalk it up as one of those days when you run for the sake of running. Normally, I feel better after a run . . . clear my head, stuff like that. Not last night. I guess I was just going through the motion.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I will, as I do most years, start the day by running our local Turkey Day run 10K. I'm not going to race it since I am plannning on doing 10-12 miles on Friday. This is normally just a social run except for the high school and college kids and the skinny guys who freeze in the colder weather. This race normally draws a pretty good crowd. One year we had close to 600 people. There is also a 1 mile turkey trot that Susan is thinking about doing with her girls.

On a serious note-
Everyone needs to take time tomorrow to step away from your runs, meals, festivals, football games and spend a moment reflecting on the holiday. The origins of the holiday is basically a celebration of life and survival http://www.twilightbridge.com/hobbies/festivals/thanksgiving/history.htm.
However, we do have so much to be thankful for today. We are a blessed people and we need to take the time to reflect on that. We need to make sure that we take the time to share the origins of the holiday with our children and to let them know that our gratitude to our Creator extends through the generations. Please take time to be truly thankful.

Everyone have a great holiday weekend and keep up the running!

No comments: