Thursday, February 09, 2006

Just a few more days

Just a few more days until I make my assault on my half-marathon PR. This is becomming a challenge. Over the last month I had no doubt about breaking 1:50 in the half. After getting sick this past Sunday night, I am now wondering if I've got the hoo-haws to do it. I ran 6 miler Wednesday night since I had started feeling better. BIG mistake. It probably set me back another day in my recovery. I am supposed to run 6 miles Friday night but I think I will skip it. I had rather give my body time to heal than to stress it and make things worse.

I went to the Dr today just to see what this ailment I have is named. I call it a pain in the bottom. After doing bloodwork, he told me my white count was down. Probably indicating some kind of viral activity. Just a stomach bug. Not much to do except let it run it's course, drink plenty of fluids. He did recommend that I take Potassium and Magnesium to try to build up electolytes. My Dr. is a biker and understands my desire to complete my goal. Of course, as he warned, I need to listen to my body and if body says "no", then I need to listen. However, right now my body says cool it until Sunday morning and then go do it. If I don't post by late Sunday night, you'll know that I either ran off to Jamaica or I'm hospitalized for not listening to my body!

I'm still shopping for a bike. I'm really considering the Specialized Roubaix. I'll make a decision later. I'm not real crazy about test riding right now considering what my body has been doing to itself and fact that it is just dang cold. Speaking of cold, it is supposed to be one our coldest mornings the morning of the Mercedes marathon. They keep pushing the forecast temperature down. I think it supposed to be low 20s. I know that is not cold for some of you. Normally it is not cold for me. However, January was temperature was in the 40s, 50s, and even in the 60s. I'm not sure if I'll be wearing tights, but I will be wearing long sleeves and gloves.

BTW, Amy did her 10 miler. Sounds like she had fun and the endorphins kicked in for her. Be sure to go to her site, read her story and congratulate her. Also, Shane did an 8 miler at a very good pace. He's targeting a 5k in 8 weeks. Be sure to lend him your support.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for plugging me Jim! Good luck on the half. I know you'll do as well as you want to!

I'm up for an 11 miler on Sunday! And I can't wait! And yes, been bragging to all the people at work but mostly I'm just getting a "you're crazy" or "hmmm...that's nice"...maybe they're just jealous? It won't keep me from running though!

Good luck and get well!!!!!!