Wednesday, November 30, 2005

No run tonight

Wednesday night is my off night from running. During the non-winter months, I try to get in a 15-20 mile bike ride. However, since it is dark by the time I'm ready to get outside, I've taken the bike to the trainer. At least I don't have to worry about traffic or some redneck throwing a bottle at me.

30 minutes on the trainer and workout.

I've been studying my old training logs from previous marathons. After comparing to some of the programs that are out there now I've come to the realization that things have changed from 10-15 years ago. I am now in search of the marathon training plan that I can work. I've seen everything from Furman's FIRST 3 day a week program http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm to the hard core Hal Higdon's and company 5 and 6 day training regimens.

Here's my plan. Please comment and help me tweak it. Remember that I have run marathons before, but not recently. I've been keeping a base of 16 mile/week minimum and have been consistently increasing my mileage over the last several months-I am hitting between 25 and 30 miles/week. My long run up to now is 12 miles (twice) with a third twelve miler planned for this coming Saturday.

Saturday mornings-Long runs. I like to try to run negative splits and 3/1 (3/4 of the distance about 1 minute per mile slower than race pace and the last 1/4 of the distance at or slightly faster than race pace).

Sunday-Bike and workout

Monday evening-easy run 4-6 miles slightly slower than planned marathon pace.

Tuesday evening (I'm changing from speedwork on Tuesday)-AMP runs. 1/2 the distance of Saturdays run At Marathon Pace. Occassionally pickup the last couple of miles to 10k pace.

Wednesday evening-Bike and workout

Thursday evening-some type of speedwork. I try to vary this. Yasso 800s, fartleks, 1 mile tempo runs. I'm always open for suggestions!

Friday - REST

Please give me your feedback and let me know how this compares to what you may have done in the past.

No comments: