Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Hello?

Hello?
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?

There is no pain you are receding.
A distant ship's smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.
When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown, The dream is gone.
But I have become comfortably numb.

I am here. I would like to say something neat like "I've been on sabbatical" or "I spent the month in Tuscanny". No such luck. Truth be known, I have been lazy. Well, I won't blame my absence entirely on sloth. I'll also let a series of aches and pains take some of the blame. Let's see . . . since we last spoke I managed to screw up my back, run just little, screw up my back again, run just little, go to a conference in Biloxi, have my GI problems arise (accompanied by a trip to hospital and again found out that there is NOTHING wrong with my heart . . . just my esophagus), and now I am battling a head cold that Susan and E tried to give me earlier this week. That's about all the excitement you have missed over the last 6 weeks.

On a more upbeat note . . .
We have decided that Nov. 22 is going to be the big day (you can read more about that on the other blog). I have been losing weight but how can I help but not lose weight when I am back on a somewhat restricted diet. The really neat thing is that I've been losing WITHOUT running. Once the cold is over and I can breathe again, I plan on hitting the pavement with a vengeance. I know, I know-don't over do it. The plan is to ease back into my routine . . . I'll run 2-3 miles 4 days a week for a few weeks and then start building back up.

Also, I am enjoying Autumn. Though we still have the occassional day in the high 80s, we are getting into the 70s regularly with cool nights. Perfect from riding around in my 99 'Stang GT convertible. I must admit that I miss my Miata. Or as Dom calls it- Me Otter. I saw Dom last week behind me at a redlight. We both had our tops down and both looked like middle aged men going through mid-life crises!

This month is going to be busy for me. Next weekend I am heading to Macon for Troy and Amy's wedding. I am also going to swing back through Hot Lanta to visit my friends and former neighbors, Todd and Kathy. The original plan was to take Susan with me but the girls' schedule would not allow it. The following Friday I am going to Lafayette, GA to see my best friend's football team play. My buddy Perry retired from the Alabama School system as the third most winning active football coach. However, he couldn't stand it so he took a job with the Georgia school system in the NW corner of Georgia. He's doing well and mid-way through the season they have more wins than any the've had for entire seasons the last several years.

One more note . . . .
Today I turn 49.

OUCH!

7 comments:

DawnB said...

Happy Birthday Jim, good to hear from you and congratulations on the wedding date

Someone said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIMBO

First off, you spelled Tuscany and vengence wrong, and you are not supposed to capitalize autumn. Just thought I would remind you of the long days of grammar in a crowded schoolhouse way back in the days.

Now with that out of the way, might I wish you congratulations on the wedding with Susan, even though you might have to move. I hope to see you out on the roads again running soon. Well, now Dom is complaining about the cat so I must leave to stop his bickering.

~Lawn Boy

Jim said...

Okay LawnBoy . . .

we're both one and one.

Vengeance is correct.
Tuscanny (Tuscany) was wrong.

We both stand corrected!

Dom said...

Who you calling middle aged? I ain't having no crisis, but I don't understand why I cry in my coffee every morning...

Welcome back to the blogulation.

I just cannot seem to get my firstborn (dude1211) calibrated.

Phil said...

Happy Birthday ... best of luck on the run-up to your wedding ... I'm sure you'll be very happy.

Have fun at Troy and Amy's wedding.

Faithful Soles said...

Happy birthday! You are a whopping 2 months older than me (12-01-59). Ahhhh, the fabulous 50's, I remember them like I was there for only a month.

Congrats on the big wedding day coming up! I'll be celebrating my 25th anniversary this coming July.

Anonymous said...

Happy Bday!!