Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Still plugging away

Greetings from the land of HOT and DRY.

As much as I don't want to find myself agreeing with tree huggers and Al Gore, I have to admit that this old third rock from the sun seems to be warming up. Temps over the last week have been in the 90s and still no rain in sight. The area I live in is around 16 below normal rain fall for the year and the temps are running 10-12 degrees above normal. I know that Phil out in AZ is laughing at my whining but it is not supposed to be mid-90s in early June in Alabama. While in Vidalia, GA last week, I saw triple digits and it was 98 on my home from work yesterday. I am normally not bothered by much, but the last week or so my sinuses have been screwed up. I do not have allergies . . . at least I didn't. I am taking benedryl to get rid of the constant running nose and sniffles. I'm thinking it is all the dust in the air from the lack of rain. I'll give it another few days and then call the Dr. It is way too tough to run when my nose is running faster than I am.

About the "plugging away" . . . yes, the old body is starting to respond better to the increased (and more regular) exercise that I am imposing on it. I am still running sans watch. Right now, it is more about regularity and getting acclimated to the heat. I ran yesterday afternoon at 5:00. According to my mini-weather station at the house, it was 96 degrees when I got started. Susan and the girls came over for dinner when I finished running. We ate reasonably healthy-I had the grilled orange roughy and a salad. I checked the temperature when I got home after dinner about 8:30ish and it was still 87 degrees. Needless to say, it is the season for sweating.

Maybe Susan will update her blog . . . She needs to brag on her daughter MAC for making the "A" travel soccer team.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be smart to hug a few trees along the runners path, they do give shade. Sounds like you are determined to run and that is great to set your mind on some- thing constructive. Hey, how is that coming from you know who?
Ashville