Friday, June 22, 2007

Is going foward really progress?

A very deep question that I have pondered over the last several weeks. In some aspects it is a deeply philosophical question. In others arenas of life, it is a simple question. Ask yourself the question . . . how do you interpret it and how do you answer it? Sort of makes you twist up your mouth and go "HMMMMMMM".

Yes. I am running. And, yes, I am biking. Rather I am getting back into biking. Since I am such a bad blogger, let me briefly catch you up-

Last week I ran on Monday and Tuesday. About 4 miles each day. And man, has it been hot. Mid 90s the last several weeks with no relief in sight. As my buddy Amy who lives in Macon knows, 95 degrees in the south is hot. I digress. sorry. Last Wed I did a 26 mile ride. Miserable conditions-it was 97 when we started at 4:45 and there were only three of us. The other two riders have been pedaling all year and all last winter. Needless to say, they pushed the pace and I kept up for the first 13 miles. Fortunately, they wanted to do 40 and I was doing 26 so we parted ways on two different routes after mile 13. I managed to struggle in at about a 15.5 mph pace. Yuck. I was doing this same route last year and averaging right at 18 mph. But as I asked above, is going forward progress? I guess it is considering that I stayed off the bike all winter and spring. I ran Thursday afternoon and my legs were crying for mercy. I was grateful for taking Friday off. I took it off from work and from running. I slept until 8:00 (very late for me) and spent the day cleaning up my garage. Saturday morning I went over to Susan's and we did a nice trail run of about 4 miles. There were lots of people on the trail and I was somewhat surprised by the amount of folks considering how hot it has been.

Trying to establish a pattern, I have repeated last week for this week. I ran Monday and Tuesday. Rode 26 miles on Wednesday. The ride was somewhat better as three of us stuck together. We had to . . . . it was high 90s again and the wind was kicking in the 15-20 mph range. VERY TOUGH on a bike. Thank goodness for pace lines! I ran Thursday afternoon at Susan's house. We had a fun family outing trying to prepare for vacation in a couple of weeks. I ran and MAC rode her bike with me while Susan ran and E rode her bike with her. MAC and I did 3 quick miles while Susan and E did 2 not so quick miles. Of course E is still learning to ride her bike so Susan is having to stop and help E on occassions.

I am blogging from Susan's house on Friday afternoon after work. We're going to some friend's house tonight for dinner and then I am heading home fairly early. Yes, I am a kill joy but I know that I am doing my first 50 mile ride in the morning early. MAC THINKS that she wants to try this but I am not going to let her show me up!!! There is nothing more embarrassing than being shown up by a 10 year old GIRL. After the the ride, I'll shower up and head over to Susans. I have promised MAC that I'd ride or run with her tomorrow afternoon so I'm sure I'll be sleeping well tomorrow night.

I still need to tell you guys about my job . . . .

Have to keep my mom wondering!!!!!! :)

4 comments:

DawnB said...

You've been keeping busy as usual have a great weekend!!

Anonymous said...

and so what about your job?? and what is there (in your life) to keep me wondering? I ask you a simple question, how is your life going really? Okay, my mouth is twisted up with HMMMM and so interpret it for me-- for God knows you never tell your mama anything...Okay, this is more on a personal note so you runners please excuse me. Just keep running and ignore the personal messages that seep through on Jimmys blog. Okay, so continue on running and biking but in between, know that Ashville ponders?

Anonymous said...

We've been wondering too! Haven't read your blog in awhile and havent' talked lately. We feel like we've lost touch. I guess this is another personal comment as well. We hope all is well with you and with Susan. We miss you, let us know what's going on....

Anonymous said...

Yeah, whats going on?