Monday, September 18, 2006

Forward thinking

Forward thinking . . . . Huntsville (Rocket City) marathon. Twelve weeks away. As you have probably guessed by now, my 20 miler didn't turn out very well. The left foot failed me. The tendonitis started flaring up after about 5 miles. I am disappointed but not surprised. I've done this before with similar results. Let this be a lesson to those who think that they can "cram" for a marathon. It will come home to roost, as we say down south.

I am not going to run the Portland marathon. PERIOD. Now that I have made that decision, I can properly focus on Rocket City. I am going to take a week and let the cortisone shot, ice, and rest do their thing. I'll do some bike riding just to keep from going bonkers. I figure since I already have some long runs under my belt, I should be able to restart my training 10 or 11 weeks out. I should be able to pick up with 30-35 mile weeks and 12 mile long runs. That will allow me to build up properly (or at least the way that works for me)-3 weeks building, 1 week easy. I have not worked out my exact schedule but will do so this week.

I am going to take Dom's advice . . . . take the trip, enjoy the scenery. Why ruin a good vacation with a marathon? Thanks Dom for the advice!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dom for your advice and thank you Jimmy for taking it. Priorities are the thing here and what is really important and kid, you made the wise decision--proud of you. There is more to life than running (okay so run) but only when you are ready for it; enjoy life as it is and then expand into other things.
Love Ashville

DawnB said...

Tough decision I'm sure. Good luck with recovery. I agree with Dom enjoy the vacation anyway!!

Anonymous said...

Well, Jim, sorry you couldn't run in that marathon. Bummer. Hope you have fun on your trip!

"The Lawn Boy"

Phil said...

Good weekend to heal up sound. Once you get back, you'll be fired up to get ready for your next race.

Summer said...

Jim, I did NOT blow away, I'm back!!! Thanks for checking in on me... it'll be nice to catch up with where your feet have taken you lately...