Tuesday, June 13, 2006

rethinking

Yes, I said it. Rethinking. I've been enjoying "dabbling" with the triathlon stuff, though it has not been serious, but it is taking too much time away from running. I find myself tired and hurting. Yes, I said that too. I am still trying to figure out how to get in two bike rides and 4 runs a week . . . can't even think about swimming. I need some coaching advice. Right now bike rides are on Wed afternoon (35 miles) and Sat morning (50+miles). I need to squeeze in a long run, hill run or speed work, and at least one tempo run. I'd also like to do a day of just "junk" miles . . . 4-6 miles at easy pace as a recovery. I may try doing 4 days of running every other week and just three days a week on alternate weeks. How about this???

Week 1:
Monday pm-Tempo run and lift weights
Tuesday pm-Hill or speed workout
Wednesday pm-35 mile bike ride
Thursday pm- Long Run and lift weights
Friday-REST (I think this is important rest up between two hard efforts)
Saturday am-50+ mile bike ride
Sunday pm-Easy run

Week 2:
Monday pm-Tempo run and lift weights
Tuesday pm-REST
Wednesday pm-35 mile bike ride
Thursday pm- Long Run and lift weights
Friday-REST
Saturday am-50+ mile bike ride
Sunday pm-Easy run

I've got to start getting ready for fall marathons. I did a 7 1/2 mile run last night and legs felt heavy. Could be from the active weekend-not sure. I don't want to overtrain but I sure don't want to under train. I may have to give up the four day a week running schedule if I continue to ride bike twice a week. Any advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be like the guy that rides his cycle without a helmet...don't push it, do what you are good at and stay there---don't reach beyond your limits and EVERYONE has limits. You ask and so we give our advice. Anything spread too thin is just not as good!

Phil said...

Jim,

I agree with ashville. My friends that are serious about tri's train twice a day. Run in the moring, swim in the evening. Ride in the morning, swim in the evening. You can't get by with the once a day stuff. The beauty of a triathlon is the fact that you need to use so may muscle groups. Each one of them needs the attention you've given to the muscles that drive you forward during a marathon. Can you imagine training for the Flying Pig running 2 days a week and cross training the rest of the time? Have you consider running in duathalons (usually set up as Run-Bike-Run). I've participated in one of these and had a blast.

At the end of the day, you need to focus on what you love and enjoy your life.

Phil

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Robocop pc game download full Tennessee bank directory aap supplement Tranny girls with bells grundy rain jackets property insurance Data recovery laptop Bias boating slots Blackberry and groupwise sync fiat 126p savaria wheelchair lift White rose gold wedding Me search engine placement improvement hair loss organin Best cellulite cream&etp rsea&rk 4&f How i quit smoking essay contest Free printable flash cards for preschoolers vitamins weight loss