Friday, February 08, 2008

Friday . . . about time

It has been a very LONG week. It's Friday morning and I've got lots to do at work today and that's good . . . the day will go quickly.

I tried running Wednesday afternoon and had to stop after a couple of miles . . . the body rebelled again. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I've been researching this like a madman trying to figure out what the heck is wrong. I'm a believer in the adage that when you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras. But I've talked to several folks who have had similar symptoms and been keeping notes the past week. It is starting to look more like gall bladder problems or gall stones. I went back to the Dr on Thursday afternoon and told him that I had to have some kind of answer. He made me pee in a cup, took four tubes of blood for lab work and I'm scheduled for an ultrasound this afternoon. We'll see how things go.

I woke up early this morning. I was awake at 4:30 and finally got out of bed at 5:00. No problems, just woke up. Surprisingly, I woke up feeling good, no pain to mention, and feeling refreshed. I'm not complaining about it!

The bad news is that I am afraid to try the 13 miles I've promised to run. I'm sure that I could probably jog the half-marathon but not sure it would be the smartest thing to do at this point. I guess Susan and I will go to the expo Saturday morning, pick up our packets and turn in our chips as DNS (did not start). I hate doing that but I'd rather be a DNS than a DNF. I'm trying to decide if I should do as Dom suggests . . . . go to the post race party and rub elbows and drink beer. I really don't feel I've earned the privilage to be there and as most of you runner out there know, it really hurts emotionally to be around a race you planned on running and not being able to participate. My guess is Susan and I will go to church and then maybe head up the road to visit with my folks (I haven't called them yet to warn them but I will call them tonight to see if they want a visit).

I hope everyone has a good weekend and that your races go well. Think of me when the gun goes off. For the really brave folks running Mercedes . . . stop at mile 11 for a donut and draft and have one for me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear you are not feeling well and will miss the race. Hope you are back on your feet soon!

Amy said...

There's donuts and draft at mile 11???? Sweet! And seeing as how that will actually be our 15th mile, I would say we probably deserve it!

Will miss seeing you there tomorrow but will definitely drink a post-cold one for you! Let us know how your tests come out.

DawnB said...

Jim hope you are feeling better, sorry you did'nt get to do the half